Thursday, 18 July 2013 22:11

March Madness

Written by 

Well this could be a massive blog or a serious of smaller ones. I suspect the latter as time is tight and my mind is full of other stuff which restricts the normal ebb and flow of my genius writing. I jest of course, about the genius bit that is.

As Capt Farquart has been toiling away for the past few months building this spectacular new website for us I have been unable, or probably more closer to the truth un-inspired and training too hard to actually get my backside into gear and put finger to keyboard. At last it is happening and so without further ado I shall now proceed.

I think I shall run through the spring months with a quick resume of training and marathons, after all I don’t want to bore anyone….


After returning from a lovely holiday in sunnier climes I was thrust into the first marathon of the year at sunny Bolton. I was reasonably fit having trained as usual throughout the winter but nothing would prepare for what was to come. The Bolton Hill Marathon was a new marathon on the circuit but unfortunately Phil the organiser had decided to run it on Mother’s Day so perhaps the turnout was not as great as hoped. I don’t know how he had managed to slip it past Melissa his wife but I suspect a bribe might have been in order!!  I drove down to Bolton on a bright spring day although there was a bit of a nip in the air and enjoyed the views of the snow covered hills as I drove along. As the start approached I realised that perhaps I had under estimated the weather conditions and decided that I would run in my leggings, gloves, hat and jacket, a decision that I would not regret. The first 3 miles is a gentle run up winter hill and straight into the teeth of a howling gale and icy roads. The views from the top were fantastic despite the bitter cold wind. The next 19 or so miles were a heady mix of cold weather, large hills, and a beautiful couple of miles of sunshine along the valley bottom, a chance to warm up at last. The hills had taken their toll, and so by the time I reached mile 22 and what can only be described as a hill that would require crampons and rope to scale I had just about had enough. The biting cold wind was getting to me but as I reached the top I thought “great I’ve cracked this one, it has to be all downhill now”. Oh dear, how wrong was I! I approached the last feed station to be told to turn left. The problem was that left led us up another hill, ahhhh, not another hill. For the first time in a marathon I had had enough, the weather and hills had worn me out and I just wanted to finish. Once over the ridge line the route dropped away and I started to feel a lot better as the temperature rose as I descended towards the finish. I finally crossed the line very cold and tired and felt such a sense of achievement at having completed one of the toughest marathons I had done. I shall be back next year just to see if I can do better.

The following week I was due to run The Gin Pit Double organised by Malc Collins. This is another trail marathon based around Leigh. I did this run last year in lovely sunshine and the route was dry and pleasant to run on. No such luck this year, the early spring months of bad weather had taken its toll and the off road bits were extremely muddy and wet and tricky to negotiate especially along the canal were one slip could have ended up in an early dunking. I was so glad to see the back of day 1 which I found a real struggle and was lucky that a running friend, Kevin dragged me the last 8 miles to the finish. I trudged back to the hotel and prepared myself for the following days adventures.

Day 2 was a lot better, not the weather or the conditions, but my head was in a better place now that I knew what was coming and in what has become a Paul Dewar tradition in running doubles I managed to finish 8 minutes quicker than the previous day.

Finally, March was rounded off with the Good Friday Enigma Marathon. Although this is held in Milton Keynes and is a bit of a drag to get there for one marathon I had decided to run it as fellow 10 in 10er Kaz was going to be celebrating her 100th marathon. For once the weather was almost balmy, ideal for running with a bit of a nippy wind at one point to cool the old body down. Most Enigma marathons are held at Caldicotte Lake and consist of running several times around the lake. Sounds boring but actually is not as bad as you would think. By the time you are on another lap there is normally something different happening on the lake shore so there is plenty to occupy the mind. I ran well for once and finished really strongly and then enjoyed the celebrations as Kaz notched up her century. There were plenty of fellow 10 in 10ers at the event and so a very sociable time was had by all including beer and chocolate cake!!! Well the carbs have got to go in some how!!


April to follow shortly......

Read 7446 times